P&J's Oyster and Brie Soup
- 36 shucked fresh oysters (2 pints)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 8-12 ozs. Brie cheese, rind removed and cheese diced
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- (white and light-green parts)
- salt and pepper to taste
- crusty French bread, for serving
YIELD: 8 teacups or 16 demitasses
Strain oysters to remove liquor and grit. Set liquor aside and freeze for future use.
Chop green onions and set aside 1/4 cup for garnish.
In a one gallon pot, melt the butter over a medium heat and sauté garlic and green onions until translucent. Add the drained oysters and simmer until the oysters curl, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in heavy cream, half and half, and cheese, continue stirring until cheese melts. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls or cups and garnish with green remaining green onions and serve, with crusty French bread on the side.
© 2021 P & J Oyster Company, All Rights Reserved