P&J's Oyster and Brie Soup
- 36 shucked fresh oysters (2 pints)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 8-12 ozs. Brie cheese, rind removed and cheese diced
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- (white and light-green parts)
- salt and pepper to taste
- crusty French bread, for serving
YIELD: 8 teacups or 16 demitasses
Strain oysters to remove liquor and grit. Set liquor aside and freeze for future use.
Chop green onions and set aside 1/4 cup for garnish.
In a one gallon pot, melt the butter over a medium heat and saute garlic and green onions until translucent. After sautéing the green onions, add in the flour to make a roux base before adding the oysters. Add more butter as to get the desired roux consistency. Add the drained oysters and simmer until the oysters cur (2 to 3 minutes). Stir in heavy cream, half and half, and the brie cheese, continue stirring until cheese melts. Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls or cups and garnish with the remaining green onions to serve, with crusty French bread on the side.
© 2023 P & J Oyster Company, All Rights Reserved